Friday, February 24, 2006

It's not about the shoes

Before you recoil in horror at the title of this post, let me explain:

It's not just about the shoes. Never just about the shoes.

Big deal, you're going to say. We already know that! It's clothes, too! and accessories! and attitude! and style!

I say yes, especially to an expanded definition of the last term. It's about style, sure, but there's something deeper than that.

It's the way you live your life as a complete, rounded human being who knows beauty is the ultimate pursuit that separates us both from animals and from robots.

It's the capacity to be moved by Keats' Ode to a Grecian Urn, declare The Sound and the Fury your favorite novel, admire Henry IV and Solon as historical heroes, enjoy a good movie and a good glass of wine, equally enjoy the wit of Martial AND of Spirit Fingers, be a kind, generous, and witty human being who appreciates the good, the stylish, the beautiful things in life.

And yes, of course, all the time displaying the unflinching love and impeccable taste in the most super-fantastic shoes.

Such is The Master Manolo, recently profiled on Normblog, and who was gracious enough to write yours truly a personal email AND add her to his blogroll.

Thank you, Manolo.

3 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Manolo said...

Ayyyyyy!

Many, many thanks for your most kind words.

The Manolo he is simply the humble shoeblogger, doing his best to spread the joy that is the shoes.

Muchos Besos!

Manolo

P.S. You remain indeed super fantastic!

 
At 6:37 AM, Blogger Cristina Hanganu-Bresch said...

It is no ordinary blogger for whom beauty is truth, truth beauty! :)

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger trelif said...

Okay, you lured me over here. Yes, yes, and yes! It is about the perfection of a pleat, a weave that carries one thread of crimson when you least expect it, and the cascade of a bias godet. To so many, fashion is ownership and the purchase of a glorfied commodity to that will be recognized by a target group.

I have ignored shoes for so long because they were taboo -- how would one find hides of cows that died of natural causes to cobble into a line of specialty shoes?? Can one devise something comfortable and stylish out of wood, cork, hemp, and rice bran?? I don't want to buy anymore PVC or petroleum by-product footwares, but I hate trying to convince myself that the feel-goody stuff on the eco-market is "pretty". And yes, I am sensitive to pretty, I want pretty, I need pretty in my life. It has taken a lot to admit that without feeling small-minded and overly girlish.

I think I will end up learning how to cobble for myself one day ... using the supplies I deem acceptable. Until then, I plod along in somewhat gecky shoes and hold a sliver of envy toward the shoe-happy.

Great post. : )

 

Post a Comment

<< Home