Sunday, April 23, 2006

Whiny post

I've been cranky for a few days, and now I realize that it's because my feet have been bothering me--that pesky plantar fasciitis has been acting up recently. As soon as I sit down for more than 20 min in a row, when I get up I get the most excruciating pain in my heels (especially in my left, where I also got the heel spur). I stretch and stretch, but still, the pain is there whenever I walk.

Which is neither here nor there: this is a chronic condition and I'm prepared to put up with it for at least another year or so (it takes that long to recover), but you know what that means, don't you?

That Scarpediem can't wear some of her favorite shoes.

Like this Casadei slide, which was also her first ever purchase from Zappos. And at a ridiculous discount of, I believe, 95% off (yep, $33 altogether). Had I waited a little longer they would have practically paid me to get rid of it (ha! I kid!).

But--pretty, n'est ce pas? And only 2 1/4 heel. Still, when I finally considered wearing them outside a few days back, when it was reasonably warm, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I even put those semi-useless Insolia inserts in, to help. Strutting in them in front of the mirror (oh, they look positively yummy!), further convinced me that I didn't stand much chance of survival in the rather long walk I had planned that day.

I can't tell you how eager I am to have healthy feet again.

Until then, I will be looking to branch out into sensible footwear, like the ones some conscientious readers recommened--Anyi Lu, or Tara Subkoff for Easy Spirit. Similarly, I think I want to try Beautifeel (not carried by Zappos, either! for shame!), Mephisto, and Arche.

The problem is that I can't find the first three of these brands easily--or on sale, as I'm accustomed to (honestly, I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a pair of shoes).

Like, sure, I could shell $280 for this adorable pump from by Tara Subkoff, given that I am a sucker for anything patent (the shinier the better), but in all likelihood, I won't. And they can't be found anywhere else on the Internets, as far as I can see. I'll keep looking. Plus, they're 2 1/4" heels, which in my current state of foot discomfort is, really, out of the question.

And then there's the question of how many shoes do I really need, for crying out loud. I mean, my closet is already overflowing (although I can't wear, at the moment, at least 1/3 of the shoes I have, and then another 1/4 or so are, for now, out of season). Luckily, we'll be moving in July to our first home where I'll have my own walk in closet and, hopefully, enough space to organize my collection. Right now, our storage situation is dire in general, and, at least where my shoes are concerned, it's downright disastrous.

I guess I'm also pretty annoyed at the possibility that I'll never get cured, that I'll be one of those persons with "bad feet" my entire life, that I won't ever be able to wear some of my prettier shoes, and will have to replace my shoe wardrobe in its entirety (a pricy, scary prospect). Luckily, I've already made some strides in the right (and stylish!) direction.

So where was I? Oh yeah, I'm cranky. And I want the rain to stop already. There's only so many pairs of shoes you can wear out in the rain, especially when it's quite warm outside. But really, one can get tired pretty quickly with a pair of Sperry TopSiders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home