Sunday, June 11, 2006

Carnivale: Ritual Fashion

The Sewing Divas ask this week the thoughtful question:
Each of us has memories, sometimes tender, sometimes not, of particular garments or accessories that evoke strong feelings and attachments. So this weeks Carnivale of the Couture topic is “Ritual Cloth” - tell us about your special item, the story behind it and why it transcends mere fashion for you.
Oh, what a provocative, rant-inducing topic! There's so much (so much!) I could talk about, but I would, no doubt, try the patience of my gentle readers. So instead, let me focus on just one precious item.

The year was 1994. First summer job, between sophomore and junior years in college, as a receptionist in a seaside resort, working for the man long summer days and occasionally nights, forsaking my right to go to the beach. I was poor, so poor that I had to fashion my d'Orsays with oversized clam shells strapped on a bed of woven straw with wild beach weeds. (Ok, so maybe the simile is not as crafty as our own Manolo's "so poor that..." series, but at least I gave it a try).

I was surrounded by shady seasonals, sun-drenched fun-loving tourists, a square-jawed yelling boss and his wife, who looked like a shorter, 300-lb version of Elvira, Queen of Darkness. I subsisted on a bag of chips and a (small) bottle of Coke during the day, went out late, late at night with other various more or less shady summer characters, lived a carefree, unstructured life in a tiny, tiny hotel room, so tiny that the rats and I had to take turns to reach the popcorn bag. (Ha, I kid, there were no rats, but if there were, they would still be crammed in there). Which was all good for my sillhouette, as I was at my all time lowest, model-worthy weight! Oh, happy, happy starving days!

But anyway, at the end of the summer, I made away with my loot and a stash of new clothes now lost for posterity (I confess I didn't have such good taste at 20), a couple of new lovers under my belt (in fact, I ended up marrying one of them much, much later), and enough of a taste of the seedy nightlife not to be very tempted by it after that. It was the first large amount of money I had earned, and was dying to spend it on fashion! Luckily, not all my purchases were misguided choices of threads. One has endured till today: a gold ring with tiny itsy bitsy diamonds, in a somewhat more unusual shape: Upon closer inspection you will notice "scars" of battle on the surface of the ring, which come from heavy, extended wear. I liked this ring so much, I wore it every day, for basically years on end. It's not that it's such a fabulous piece of jewelry, but it was earned with my sweat and tears, the first taste of my independence as a woman. And nothing feels that good, you know.

There are many other pieces in my collection that have sentimental value, that mean something for various reasons, but this is a permanent reminder, in gold, nonetheless, of my working-class roots. I don't wear the ring that obsessively these days now, since my collection expanded with my tastes, but when I do, I always wear it fondly and get a bit, just a little bit, sentimental.

8 Comments:

At 7:57 PM, Blogger Gorgeous Things said...

What a lovely ring. And a lovely story. Keep wearing it in good health!

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous www.pelikanfountainpenshop.com said...

awesome post

 
At 7:38 AM, Anonymous www.thebathroomstoragecabinets.com said...

coooooool post

 
At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To obtain the Diablo 3 Itemscorrect espadrille emotion, you need the actual rope/jute lone, plus the canvas/cotton higher (any leather-based uppr, at the very least for me, might escape the first intent behind your espadrille, the light, allow air through, informal sneaker for sunshine). Ohio,GW2 Gold also remember the optional ankle-tie, if you possibly could accomplish it.

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

The Mechanic at Victory Auto feels great, a real firm sense of accomplishment: he just ripped somebody off. Poor old lady rs gold, charged her a grand for a new carburetor when all she needed was an oil change. Schmuck, thinks The Mechanic. He raps his skeleton ring on the blue Formica counter top and rubs his baldhead, then stares into the computer screen and grins.     The Mechanic only grins at the computer screen, never at the customer. The computer runs the cash register. Happy customers feel nervous around The Mechanic. They should. They're happy. Happy RS 2 Gold, kind people those are the easiest to rip off. Other customers, the shrewder, half-empty sort, they don't smile or exchange pleasantries with The Mechanic. No. They're more concerned with the tattoo on his forearm. It's a crappy red heart tattoo with the name Yoko inked in black across the center and an arrow shot through, but not an arrow from Cupid, an Indian warrior's arrow. And these customers, they think, what a schmuck rs2 gold. They know The Mechanic doesn't love Yoko, the woman whose name he has tattooed across his forearm. He never did, not even the night he made her. That night she asked him in the basement if he liked boom boom. "Boom. Boom. Boom," said The Mechanic.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

A RICH MAN gave a great feast, to which he invited many friends and acquaintances. His Dog availed himself of the occasion to invite a stranger Dog, a friend of his buy rs gp, saying, "My master gives a feast, and there is always much food remaining; come and sup with me tonight." The Dog thus invited went at the hour appointed, and seeing the preparations for so grand an entertainment RS Gold, said in the joy of his heart, "How glad I am that I came! I do not often get such a chance as this. I will take care and eat enough to last me both today and tomorrow." While he was congratulating himself and wagging his tail to convey his pleasure to his friend RuneScape Gold, the Cook saw him moving about among his dishes and, seizing him by his fore and hind ......

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger shorryjune3 said...

Anyone prepare bugs through pot plant these questions bottle having a best into it. Fleas Iphone 5 case jump.Natasha, appreciate your hosting, desire you happen to be using a wonderful saturday and sunday!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Alberta Smith said...

I recently enjoy this rhinestone case together with the jewelry. We have slipped that previously and also Iphone 5 case didn't have any damage. Like it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home