Saturday, June 03, 2006

Shoes in movies

I saw yesterday two fragments of two radically different movies.

First, Aeon Flux, which was so undescribably bad we could only survive through 20 minutes of it. The only thing that sort of stuck with me: wedge shoes whose heels serve as storage containers for your run-of-the-mill assassin kit. Just think of the possibilities! In a well constructed wedge, you could hold a basic make-up kit, for example, tissues, mints, floss, pepper-spray, and whatever else a busy girl on the go requires, bag optional. Now that's what I call multitasking!

Seriously though: Charlize Theron is gorgeous as usual, but what we saw of the movie was egregious.

On a completely different note, I turned the TV on and Luis Bunuel's Belle de Jour (1967) happened to be on. I had never seen the movie from one end to the other, so I decided to watch the last hour or so of it. Oh boy, was Catherine Deneuve just the classiest, most stylish movie starlet EVER. Icy cold, sure, kind of frosty, but still jaw-droppingly beautiful. Naturally, I admired her fashion and her shoes. From an interesting newly discovered site I've found out the following:
Roger Vivier designed Catherine Deneuve’s classic pilgrim flat shoes for the movie “Belle de Jour” in 1967. Over 120,000 pairs of this shoe have been sold, and the Pilgrim style silver buckle pump has become the most copied shoe. Known today as the “Belle Vivier”, the shoe is a timeless classic.
This only served to fuel my hankering for a pair of pilgrim flats, of the kind still sold in Roger Vivier stores (none of which is located in the US, I'm afraid...). Now, if I only had a fraction of Catherine Deneuve's style and grace to go along....

12 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Vivier pilgrim shoes are gorgeous, and I've searched online for a less expensive copy -- well, not copy of course, but something similiar -- and have found nothing. Scarpediem, are you aware of such a beast?

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Cristina Hanganu-Bresch said...

Um--try Ebay, I found at least 4-5 Vivier pilgrim shoes, in different sizes (none mine!) - so I guess that's a good place to start. Vivier shoes are also supposed to be available at Saks, but they're not online, so I guess you'll have to go in person. I'll keep looking, since it seems I need something like that, too!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow!...great collection of shoes..i never find this model shoe in my timberland shoes collection

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Shoes!!!I just saw the movie "The Spy Next Door" with Jackie Chan and Amber Valleta. Ms. Valleta was casually wearing a pair of super cute boots. Does anyone know what they are?

 
At 7:45 AM, Anonymous www.thebathroomstoragecabinets.com said...

cooooooool

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Brandon said...

Very worthwhile piece of writing, thank you for your article.
air duct cleaning toronto | home remodeling software | interfaith ketubah

 
At 3:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mostly, nonetheless,Buy Diablo 3 Items young ladies will probably have on apartments, generally ballerinas, espadrilles, pitching wedges, and sportsy footwear. Females adore the secure shoes here, as well asGW2 Cd key Scarpediem have to fortunately accept!

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous emy said...

cool post

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Long ago in a small, faraway village, there was a place known as the House of 1000 Mirrors rs gold. A small, happy little dog learned of this place and decided to visit. When he arrived, he hounced happily up the stairs to the doorway of the house. He looked through the doorway Runescape Money with his ears lifted high and his tail wagging as fast as it could. To his great surprise, he found himself staring at 1000 other happy little dogs with their tails wagging just as fast as his Runescape Gold. He smiled a great smile, and was answered with 1000 great smiles just as warm and firendly.

 
At 2:12 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Four best friends met at the hospital since their wives were giving births to their babies RS Gold. The nurse comes up to the first man and says, "Congratulations, you got twins." The man said "How strange Runescape Gold, I'm the manager of Minnesota Twins." After awhile the nurse comes up to the second man and says, "Congratulations, you got triplets." Man was like "Hmmm, strange I worked as a director for the "3 musketeers." RS Gold Finally, the nurse comes up to the third man and says

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love all of your have missed internet connections much :) Continue the Galaxy 3 case fantastic function!I like the polka dept of transportation environment. :)

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

So great and interesting site! I love it and it give me lots of power and Galaxy 4 case courage to meet the future rote.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home